I am 3 weeks postpartum and I am almost back to my pre pregnancy weight. If you have been following me for a while, you know before I got pregnant with our 3rd baby, I had been on my journey to health. I had actually just reached a big milestone of 50 pounds lost about a week before we found out we were expecting our sweet little Jackson. I had become a smoothie addict and a lover of vegan foods. Now that I am no longer pregnant, I am continuing where I left off and have about 25 pounds to get to my goal weight and where I feel I would like to be. Although, I love and truly appreciate my body, I feel it would be best for me to get into a healthy BMI.
I am now nursing though. And when I nurse, I am hungry ALL. THE. TIME! With my first two boys, this is when I gained back the baby weight because I wasn’t making healthy choices. But this time, I am not letting that happen. I just feel better when I eat healthier options. So I am back to my daily smoothies. Since I have been making them for a while, I am now trying my own creations and thought I would try and start sharing some with you all. I post pictures on my Instagram and Facebook all the time and get a lot of comments from people asking for the recipes. I will be honest, I don’t really keep track and write things down. Now with 2 toddlers who are also ALWAYS hungry and a newborn who wants mommy, when I get in the kitchen, I just go to work and toss things in the blender.
Now I am not a big coffee drinker. I definitely don’t drink it for the energy… ALWAYS decaf for me. I just have moods where I want the taste and I only like cold coffee drinks. Sure, I can go to Starbucks and spend about $4 on a drink like this… but realistically, I won’t. It is NOT worth getting the kids loaded in the car to get a coffee. Plus, their drinks are loaded with sugar and nasty unnecessary chemicals. It is nice they are starting to offer more vegan friendly options. But it still really isn’t worth it to me. Instead I threw this smoothie together this morning…
All vegan, plant based ingredients and super delicious.
Here is what you need:
- About 6 coffee ice cubes (yes, you will have to plan ahead and freeze the coffee before making this!)
- 1 frozen banana (can use a fresh one, but it won’t be as thick and creamy)
- 1/2c- 3/4c coconut milk
- 2 T chia seeds
- 4 T shredded coconut
- 1/2T-1 T raw cacao powder, or cocoa powder
- dash cinnamon
- dash vanilla
- ***optional: homemade chocolate sauce (for making the cup pretty and topping the smoothie 😉 )
- First, you want to toast the coconut. Preheat oven to 325 and spread coconut out on a baking sheet. Cook for no longer than 5 minutes. Keep a good eye as it will burn quickly if you wait too long!
- Add the coconut milk to the blender. If you have a high speed blender, like a Vitamix, you can get away with less milk. Add the chia seeds and do a small blend to mix in the chia seeds so they plump up a bit. Let sit until the coconut is done toasting.
- Once the coconut is done, add it to the blender (you can reserve a little for topping if you like) along with the frozen banana, coffee ice cubes, cacao powder, cinnamon and vanilla. Blend until smooth! Top with more toasted coconut and chocolate sauce… Enjoy!
*** If you want to make chocolate sauce, the easy way is about a teaspoon of coconut oil mixed with a few tablespoons of chocolate chips (I prefer vegan/ dairy free chocolate chips!). Heat in microwave for 20 second intervals, stirring well until melted. It will be more of a chocolate shell once mixed with the cold drink, but just mix it in and it adds texture of chocolaty goodness!
All Images 2014-2015 ©NaturallyAwesomeMama All Rights Reserved